deutsch     english

  General information






      The County of Castell
The lineage of the Counts of Castell, was first proved by documents in the 11th century (1057/91). The first Count of Castell was called Rupertus de Castello. The name "Castell” comes from the ancestral seat placed at the west edge of the so-called "Steigerwald”. Until the 14th century the Counts of Castell were the dominating noblemen in the country between the River Main and the Steigerwald. The territory of the Counts of Castell enclosed the complete area of today’s administrative district of the Kitzingen area.
A very special tip: the tourist guide "Auf den Spuren der Grafen zu Castell”. This guide is a joint production of the House of Princes of Castell, the district administration office of Kitzingen area and several municipalities. The guide is leading to 48 historic places in the Kitzingen area between the River Main and the Steigerwald. It is an extraordinary guide to Franconian medieval history in this remarkable region.

In the Middle Ages Franconia was divided into numerous counties and principalities. Finally all these small territories once formed the country of Franconia in a very diverse way. Cities, villages and monasteries, bishops, counts and knights, monks, farmers and patricians they all left their indelible mark on Franconia country.

Local history of Castell
Castell village was first proved by documents in 816.

1091 Rupert, first ancestor of the lineage of Castell.

In 1398 King Wenzel gives to the Counts of Castell the right to mint coins. The city of Volkach nearby becomes Castell mint.

In 1457 the county of Castell was granted in fief to Wuerzburg.

In 1806 the free county of Castell joins the Bavarian Kingdom.

1901: Booth families Castell-Castell and Castell-Ruedenhausen existing since 1803 obtain the right to wear the title Princes of Castell.